Wednesday, March 25, 2020

In Gratitude of Advice

V-Log (since my computer is being a pill)

It was five years ago.

I was sitting in one of my grad school classes on our last day. We were doing presentations of some kind.

And I was in a mood.

I don't remember what exactly had been going on--if it was a thing that just happened that day, or if it had been going on for a while--but I was feeling low.

As part of the presentations, my professor (and cohort leader--I adore that woman) had brought in cards. Our job was to write a note to at least three people, commenting on something they had done well either in the presentation or in the class.

So I wrote one...and then the second...and then the third...and then a fourth...and a fifth. For you see, I was reminded of something I heard while in Japan. One of the trainers talked about when he'd been having a hard time, his boss had given him an assignment.

"Every day this week, I want you to write down something nice that you noticed about every one of the teachers you are training."

Looking for those positive qualities helped him back then, just as it helped me on that day.

And it's helping me now.

Not going to lie, the past 36 hours have been a little bit harder for me. I've been overworking, and the reality of the situation is hitting home. This is not going to be a short quarantine--we're all in this for the long haul.

It's the Quarantine, and it deserves the capital Q.

But whenever I start to get low, I think of all of the people I'm thankful for and why. I refocus my work, reminding myself that a lot of what I'm doing is to help them. Either making funny videos, betting competitions, or just checking in.

And I'm not the only one.

My mother had a great idea the other day, one taken from a story we heard on NPR: going out every night at 8:00 and applauding the healthcare workers of the world with her neighbors. It is a cool idea--it's engaging in thanks (so many positive effects on the brain), and it's getting a little of that social interaction that she craves.

But I would love it if she would take it a step further (so far, she hasn't).

See, giving thanks has two parts to it. There's the person thanking, and the person/ group/ thing being thanked. Only having one part of that equation isn't nearly as effective as having both.

I think she should video it each night and share it online. That way it will actually be seen by the healthcare workers--showing them that some people really do care and are thankful--and it will inspire magnitudes more people to do the same.

But, at the end of the day, it's those small acts of thanks that can help make this whole thing bearable. And for that, I am thankful.

This has been another (less enthusiastic/ funny) Adventure of the Austentatious. If you liked it, tell your friends; if you hated it, tell your enemies; and if you don't care either way, then tell everyone. Stay safe, stay healthy.

And happy quarantine.

Links to more info on giving thanks and the brain:
-A video from Kurzgesagt about how thankfulness can help with dissatisfaction.
-A bit more of a sciency view on gratitude.
-A way to practice gratitude in a daily way.
-A Huffington Post article that gives a basic understanding of the neuroscience.

No comments:

Post a Comment